Tips for Driving Safely in the Rain
Now that it’s spring, you’re probably relieved that winter is over. That doesn’t mean that spring and summer driving is always easy, though. Driving in the rain can be a challenge at best and dangerous at worst – especially if you’re not prepared for it! While getting your car into our service center at Brilliance Honda for regular maintenance is the first step to safe driving in the rain, there are a few other things you should know before you get caught in a downpour on the freeway this summer. Take a look at these tips to help you get safely through the next few months of driving.
Rain Driving Tips
When the rain starts to fall, you don’t want to panic and you don’t want to have to pull over. Follow these tips and you’ll be able to drive with more confidence and control:
- Slow down. Your car needs more time to slow down on wet roads than on dry roads. That should be reason enough to drive a little slower. Remember, the speed limit is the maximum speed allowed for optimal road conditions – you should never be pressured to drive faster than the speed limit, especially in poor conditions.
- Switch on lights. Many cars have automatic headlights, but you want to make sure your lights are on so you can see and so others can see you. Remember, when you turn on your lights, your tail lights come on as well – that makes it easier for others to see you.
- Drive a clean car. If your windshield is dirty, it’s harder to see out of – that can be a serious problem when rain is already reducing visibility.
- Steer where you want to go. If you start to hydroplane, don’t panic. Steer where you want the car to go. It might take several tries, but it will work eventually.
- Don’t get out of your depth. If you see that water is covering the markings on the road, it will be too deep to drive on. Three inches of water can make you lose control of the vehicle, even at moderate speeds.
- Drive a well maintained car. If your tires are bald, you’ll make driving in the rain infinitely harder. Likewise, if your windshield wipers aren’t working, you’ll have a hard time getting anywhere in the rain.
Want to make sure that your vehicle is rain ready? Schedule a service appointment online now and the experts here at Brilliance Honda will make sure your car is in tip-top shape for the coming season.
Visit Brilliance Honda
Visit our service center at 680 W. Terra Cotta Ave.. in Crystal Lake if you need spring maintenance or help getting ready for that summer road trip. We’re always happy to help with any automotive needs, so contact us with any questions and stop by today!